Digital Archivist (Contract)
Pioneer Works is seeking a Digital Archivist to help establish a long term archival and digital asset management strategy for the institution. This person will spend time learning about how the organization functions and how the archive has been managed to date. They will work towards conceptualizing and implementing an institution-wide digital asset management system, including ingesting, tagging, cataloging, organizing assets, and refining workflows.
- Develops a born-digital archival strategy that includes policies and procedures for ingesting, preserving, and managing electronic records.
- Oversees the collection of assets, ranging in file type from raw video and photo to text files and audio, from multiple departments within the institution
- Advises on folder structures, file formatting, and naming conventions.
- Integrates information from various sources and databases.
- Determine the appropriate metadata strategy based on the needs of the organization
- Collaborates with internal teams on the on strategy for developing a public facing archive
- Identifies and secures the necessary software for archival management
- Maintains documentation and staff training materials for proper digital asset management usage and workflows.
- Assists with asset organization and distribution for staff
- A graduate degree in library science or a field with demonstrated knowledge of digital archives, such as Certified Archivist, is preferred. Current master’s candidates who have made significant progress towards a degree are encouraged to apply.
- A minimum of five to seven years of experience as an archivist or digital asset manager.
- Experience with database management, including creating organizational file structures, advanced searches, and batch processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of archival theory and practice, including experience processing archival records.
- Experience with digital asset taxonomy and metadata with knowledge of relevant standards for archival description including DACS, EAD and EAC-CPF
- Extensive knowledge of digital file formats used for photo, video and audio
- Previous experience with a variety of computer operating systems, storage media, and NAS systems such as Synology.
- Experience with Collective Access, ArchivesSpace, Archivist Toolkit, or a similar archives collection management software
- Experience with r scripting languages preferred
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and across organizational boundaries
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Digital Archivist_[Applicant Name]” in the subject heading. Please do not call to inquire about your application. Should you match our needs, we will be in contact with you.
Pioneer Works is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve.
Pioneer Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.