Across the pond, the refugee crisis looks like the orphaned children of Aleppo; the overpacked dinghies that carry thousands across the mediterranean sea and the makeshift village of the Calais “Jungle.” What does the refugee crisis look like here in NYC? Who are the people seeking asylum, right here, in your borough?
Join us for an introduction to the local refugee crisis: a look into the lives of asylum seekers in NYC.
The workshop will explore:
● The persecution that forces asylum seekers to flee
● Important distinctions between refugee groups and the political histories of refugee/asylum law
● Current lack of local and federal support for refugees and asylum seekers
● Stories of the local struggle
● The people and organizations in the local effort
● Actions to support the local effort